The Workout Group (WOG)
Running smarter, stronger and happier since 1997.
WOG Fall 2020 Schedule
Tuesday morning workouts.
- Rillito Park. Meet at the NW field on 1st & River. Bathrooms available.
- El Mercado. Meet in front of El Mercado (W. Congress & Avenida del Convento). Bathrooms along the route.
Tuesday evening workouts.
- Reid Park. Meet in parking lot behind the concert hall, following Bucky Steele Dr. after entering from Country Club entrance. Bathrooms available.
- Senita Valley Elementary School. Meet in the parking lot (10750 E. Bilby Rd.) Starts Sept. 1.
*Tuesday workouts range from 2-4 miles with a focus on building leg speed using a developmentally appropriate progression of skills. These workouts are meant to be high intensity and safely push you out of your comfort zone so make sure you get in a good warm-up. Give yourself at least 15 minutes before the workout to loosen up and activate your body for a smooth transition into the workout phase. It’s also important to do an easy 10-15 minute cool down afterwards and some stretching to transition your body into a recovery phase. Please always bring a face covering, a water bottle, and towel for stretching.
Thursday morning workouts.
- Rillito Park. Meet at NW field at 1st & River Rd. Bathrooms. Starts on Aug. 27.
- El Mercado. Meet in front of El Mercado (W. Congress & Avenida del Convento). Bathrooms on route. Starts on Aug. 27.
Thursday evening workouts.
- Reid Park. Meet in parking lot behind the Concert Hall (follow Bucky Steel Dr. from Country Club entrance). Starts on Aug. 27.
- Arthur Pack Regional Park (trails). Meet in the first parking lot on the right from Thornydale Rd. Starts on Aug. 27.
- Senita Valley Elementary School. meet in parking lot (10750 E. Bilby Rd.). Starts on Sept. 3.
*Thursday workouts focus on getting more comfortable with faster aerobic running (stamina). Stamina workouts are key to becoming a faster runner, even though the workouts are not at max speed. These workouts range from 2-6 miles depending what you’re training for. Even though these workouts are not high intensity, you still need to warm-up/activate your muscles for at least 10-15 minutes before starting the workout and do an easy cool down after. Please bring a face covering and a water bottle.
Why might you join WOG: The Workout Group provides athletes with a safe and fun environment for running. Each workout is planned with the runners’ goals and abilities in mind. Our workouts are periodized so they build on each other, increasing fitness levels consistently over time.
Who might join WOG: All types of runners with some prior running experience are welcome to join WOG. We have runners training for 5k’s and 50 milers (and everything in between). Most of our athletes come for the workouts but stay because of the incredible group support and the pure joy of running hard with friends.
How might you join WOG: If you would like to give WOG a try, come on out! We like new folks to visit a few times before deciding if WOG is a good fit. Once you have made the commitment, we ask our runners to donate $50 per semester (August-Dec. & January-May). We also offer individual coaching packages and personalized training plans (see individual coaching for more details).
What type of workouts might you do if you join WOG: Our workouts include hill circuits, tempo runs and cruise intervals, longer speedier intervals and shorter repeats. If you are training for a specific event, we will do our best to accommodate your needs and help you build to a peak performance. If you are just starting to get to know your running self, we will encourage you to take your time and build gradually. Running is a fantastic journey and we don’t want you to rush through any part of it
Why is there a fee for WOG: We take this community and our coaching seriously. In order for us to maintain a safe and responsible atmosphere, we require each of our coaches be RRCA certified and insured. In the past we’ve payed for lights. Along with the insurance, these are significant costs, though well worth it. Since we are currently not paying for lights, we have reduced the semester fee from $75 to $50. If we end up paying for lights we will raise the second semester fee back to $75. If you’re curious, none of us make money from WOG. It is a community service that brings us more pride, joy and friendships than revenue. We hope you feel the same.